An overview of our adoption process:
- Browse our online listings to see all available animals.
- Visit the shelter to spend some time with the animal(s) you’re interested in adopting. During your visit, we encourage you to talk to our staff about what you are looking for and discuss your circumstances. Our staff know the animals well and can give advice about if a particular animal gets along with cats, dogs, kids, etc. and can tell you about the animal’s personality in general.
- Fill out the application (Cat Adoption Application) or (Dog Adoption Application). Print application, submit it in person at the shelter, or scan and email to email@example.com. If you don’t have a printer you can open the application in Microsoft Word. Once opened, enable editing, fill out your application (some questions may ask to circle, you can highlight instead), save, then email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application should state your animal preferences (e.g., I am interested in Fluffy and Fido). Applications typically require between 48 and 72 hours to be processed.
- Answer and address questions about your application with the shelter manager.
- The pet will need to be spayed or neutered if the pet is of age and not already spayed or neutered. If the pet is not already spayed or neutered, you must pick a veterinarian in Rockbridge County to alter the pet. The pet must stay at Rockbridge SPCA until the day of surgery. It is your responsibility to pay the vet for the surgery and any possible additional services.
- Welcome your new pet to the family!
- Take your new pet to the vet for a check up and follow vet instructions for proper care of your pet. Annual vet visits and keeping up with vaccines are vital to your pet’s health.
- Get your dog tags (you can get them for $5 at Walmart) or, at least, use a black sharpie to write your name and phone number on the collar.
Adoption fees vary for cats depending if the cat has been altered. Cat and kitten adoption fees range from $75 – $125. Senior Cats have a reduced fee, call for more information. All adoption fees include the microchip fee. The new owner is responsible for the spay/neuter fee. Spay/neuter fees vary by each veterinarian.
The adoption fee for a dog already altered may vary. Dog and puppy adoption fees range from $75 – $200. Senior dogs have a reduce fee, call for more information. All adoptions include the microchip fee. The new owner is responsible for the spay/neuter fee, which varies by each veterinarian.